Can I check if a user's phone number is enabled for WhatsApp?
Currently, we do not offer an API to check if a user's phone number is WhatsApp enabled. WhatsApp requires businesses to collect an active user opt-in, in order to message them via WhatsApp, which should serve as knowledge that the user has WhatsApp installed on his/her phone.
Sending a WhatsApp message to a phone number that is not WhatsApp enabled will fail and fallback to SMS.
What rich content can I share with customers on WhatsApp?
WhatsApp supports a diversity of rich media, including media files (images and documents), preview URLs, geolocations, videos, audio recordings, and more. At present, media types beyond text are available in the "chat window" only. In the near future, tyntec will also provide rich media as part of message templates / company-initiated messages.
With tyntec's API, many of these features are readily available. Find out more in our Tech Docs
How can I find my Facebook Business Manager ID?
To setup your account, tyntec needs your Facebook Business Manager ID.
The Facebook Business Manager ID corresponds to your Business Manager, the central platform where you can manage your ads, manage assets such as Pages and add accounts, and even add an agency or partners (like tyntec) to help manage your business; in this case, the WhatsApp Business Account (WABA).
Please note that this is different than your Facebook Page ID, which is basically your brand page on Facebook.
To get your Facebook Business Manager ID, you need to sign up at https://business.facebook.com/. Once signed up, this is how you can find this information:
- Go to Business Settings.
- Click Business Info.
- Below the Business Manager Info section you'll see your ID number.
This is how you should see your Facebook Business Manager ID:
In case you don't have yet a Business Manager, this is how you can create it:
- Go to business.facebook.com.
- Click Create Account.
- Enter a name for your business, select the primary Page and enter your name and work email address
- Enter your information in the rest of the required fields.
Note: If you don't yet have a Page for your business, create one, as this is needed to setup your Facebook Business Account.
How can I send messages to WhatsApp groups or manage groups?
tyntec supports Group Messaging, enabling you to achieve greater personalization for your WhatsApp engagement.
This feature allows multiple agents or advisors to converse with customers using dedicated Group Profiles, making it possible to manage 1-2-1 relationships more efficiently . Businesses with premium/VIP services, dedicated counselors, consulting and more can greatly benefit from this add-on.
For more information, please check the Group Messaging section on the Tech Docs.
Is it possible to port an external number outside of tyntec to use WhatsApp?
Yes. Differently from other WhatsApp Business solution providers, tyntec does not require a tyntec number to use our API for WhatsApp. You can bring your own number – mobile or landline – to your customer conversations, making use of an existing phone number (as long as it hasn’t been used on WhatsApp before).
In Germany, you can also utilize the same phone number for voice calls and extend with WhatsApp and SMS. This enables you to manage all interactions on one number, ensuring a seamless, omnichannel experience for your customers.
Find out more information about Phone Numbers in our Tech Docs
How can I get the API key to setup my WhatsApp Business Account?
The API key and API key name are important information in the setup of your WhatsApp Business Account. You will have to create an account at tyntec’s Business Center to retrieve this information.
Once you have an account, all you have to do is click on “API Settings” and then on the button “New API key” at the top:
Once you fill out the WhatsApp Set Up form, you will add the "API key name" information. We will associate your WABA to this account and you can access it using the key provided in the Business Center.
Check also our API reference for the deployment phase.
For more information, please check our Tech Docs.
We will associate your WABA to this account and you can access it using the key provided in the Business Center.
How do I setup the Display Name for my WhatsApp Business Account?
When setting up your WhatsApp Business Account (WABA), you will need to define the Display Name of your business. All display names should have a relationship with your business and should not violate WhatsApp Commerce and Business policies.
Please follow the guidelines to create your Display Name:
1. A Display Name should represent a business or an organization:*
- A business service, department, test accounts
- Organizations include charitable organizations, churches/parishes, professional associations, and media organizations, not-for-profit organizations
*Note: Organizations with a government affiliation will need to be approved by WhatsApp team.
2. A Display Name must:
- have grammatically correct capitalization and may not include all capitals, except for acronyms. Example:*
- Not accepted: NEW CITY COMPUTERS
- Accepted: New City Computers
- not have variations with spacing. An example for a business, “Lil’Cupcakes“:
- Accepted: Lil’Cupcakes
- Not accepted: Lil’ Cupcakes (added a space ‘ ’ when an external business name does not contain one")
- not have an extra punctuation*
- not include emojis*
- not include character symbols such as trademark designations*
- must contain a minimum of 3 characters. An example for a business, “KKT Sir”:
- Accepted: KKT Sir
- Not accepted: Kkt
- not be in URL format*
*Note: These rules do not apply if the business or organization already brand this way
3. Display names NOT eligible for WhatsApp Business API:
- an employee or a person’s full name
- a generic term (Example: Fashion)
- a generic geographic location (Example: New York)
- a slogan or a long description
4. Consistency with external branding
A display name must have consistent branding with external sources (e.g., a company’s website). An example for a product line named “Fresh Produce Cold Pressed Juices”:
- Accepted: Fresh Produce Cold Pressed Juices (how it is branded on your website)
- Not accepted: Fresh Produce Juices (you changed branding by removing ‘Cold Pressed’)
5. Clear relationship with your business
A display name must have a clear relationship for your business (must be referred on the business’ website or external media references). For example:
- Accepted: Name of a charity mentioned on a non-profit organization’s website
- Not accepted: Name of a charity not mentioned on any external websites
Depending on the type of business account, the display name will be shown to the user in different places.
How Your Business Appears to Users
Depending on your business account type, users will see different things. If a user has already saved the business number in their address book, the name from the address book will always be displayed. The phone number will still be visible in the contacts view. Please be prepared for users who may try to call this number and have a plan for how to handle these incoming calls.
Official Business Account
If your WhatsApp account is an official business account, the display name will be visible in the chat list, chat screens, chat groups, and contacts view instead of the phone number. There will be a green checkmark beside the displayed name in the contacts view.
If your WhatsApp account is a business account, the display name will only be shown in the contacts view in smaller text; all other views will show the phone number. You can help customers learn more about your company by filling out your business info, including business website, address, and hours.